Thursday, April 4, 2013

almond joy cookies

It's well agreed upon that food elicits specific memories for people. I think that's why I enjoy food so much. I can think of any food and it reminds me of a particular moment.


Almond Joys remind me of visiting my grade school best friend's house. Her mom always carried the best snacks, but I specifically recall a particular stash of Almond Joys during Halloween. I remember sneaking into her kitchen to snag a handful of Almond Joys to take home with me. I'm not sure why I didn't just ask my mom to add this candy to our Halloween supply, but I loved visiting her house and helping myself to this special treat. I actually have a history of sneaking candy, but who doesn't?


I bookmarked these cookies a while ago, so I'm surprised that it took me so long to finally bake them. It's easy for recipes to be forgotten when your pinterest boards are hemorrhaging recipes. I was rummaging through my pantry last weekend when I found leftover coconut from the samoas cookies I made last month. I hate wasting ingredients, so these cookies were an excellent vehicle to use up the remaining coconut.


I was so pleased with the results of this recipe. They're soft and chewy with delicious texture and flavor contrasts. The almond slices offer a nice crunch that pairs so well the coconut flakes and chocolate chips. I know that some people have aversions to coconut and nuts in their cookies, but these were so good! I feel like those who don't like Almond Joys would even like these cookies. They would be a great cookie to share at any occasion. Like most cookies, we ate these up quick.



Almond Joy Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a medium size bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; set aside
In bowl of standing mixer, cream together butter and sugar
Beat in egg until combined
Slowly add dry ingredients to sugar mixture until just combined
Gently stir in coconut, chips, and almonds
Drop tablespoon size balls of dough onto cookie sheets
Bake for 10 minutes

Enjoy!


Adapted from Heather Christo



No comments:

Post a Comment