Sunday, April 14, 2013

weekend review

We enjoyed a wonderful visit with my mom this weekend, so sit tight while I take you through the visit if you're interested.

I made a last minute venue change to our Friday dinner plans, and I'm so happy that I did. We ate at a restaurant called the Thames Street Oyster House. It's a cute small eatery located in Fells Point. I called during lunch to see if they were still accepting reservations, but I was notified that they book up two weeks in advance. I wasn't deterred and figured that if we went early enough then we could be seated. Apparently we were only seated due to a cancellation. All these signs indicated that we were in for a successful dining experience, and that it was. Here are some pictures from the meal:

Customized appetizer from the raw bar: jumbo shrimp and oysters

My mom and I ordered the scallops over a walnut goat cheese risotto- happiness on a plate

Kent ordered the monkfish over homemade gnocchi in a lobster bacon reduction sauce

My dessert was a chocolate ganache cake that was disappointing in size and "wow" factor. I should have gone with the cinnamon crumb cake with coffee ice cream

Kent ordered the caramel bread pudding. Don't let the appearance fool you- this dessert was incredible

A cute doggie bag, right?

You had to have known this was coming. I needed a second dessert because the first didn't satisfy me quite right. We live across from a Dunkin Donuts, so I got a vanilla creme donut to round out the night

Luckily, we woke up to blue skies on Saturday because Friday was a wash in terms of the weather. I struggled my way through a workout on the elliptical. I attribute my weakness to the over indulgence that took place the night before. Some cookies may or may not have followed the donut. Anyway, after lunch, we embarked on a self-guided walking tour around the harbor. Here are some snapshots:


If there is ever a day that Kent asks me to take a picture of him, my heart may stop


I spy a pirate ship

Just a mother and her favorite!

Our trek thoroughly tired us, so we plopped ourselves on the couch until dinner. Well, I baked cookies, but it was done out of leisure. For dinner, I decided on a nearby restaurant called Nick's Fish House that has waterfront dining and a great seafood selection. It's a casual place with indoor and outdoor seating.  We were really happy with our dining experience, and we'll definitely frequent again during the summer. Here are some pictures from the meal:


Good lord I need a haircut

Kent started with the Maryland crab soup

My mom ordered a crab cake and sweet potato fries

I had the Seafood Cobb Salad- egg, cucumber, bacon, avocado, & tomatoes topped with jumbo lump crab and shrimp

Kent's entree was the Crab Grilled Cheese Sandwich

The night quickly grew chilly, so we hurried home as soon as we were done eating. I didn't even order dessert; that's how cold I was. The remainder of the night was spent watching HGTV. Not exciting, but perfectly acceptable to me. 

This morning my mom and I enjoyed a trip to the grocery store. Kent has been going with me lately to help with the number of bags I have to walk home, so it was nice to have a shopping buddy who wasn't so irked by my constant changes in direction. Our afternoon consisted of a walk at a nearby park and typical Sunday chores. We drove my mom to the airport late afternoon, then I headed to the gym for a good run that wasn't. I think all of the walking aggravated my knee because I couldn't run for more than two minutes without a sharp pain. I had been looking forward to this run all weekend (and I really needed a hard workout after my weekend gluttony), so I was disappointed that I had to move over to the elliptical for less impact. Meh, it happens. I can adapt. I'm hoping a run will be possible tomorrow, so we'll see.

As far as tonight goes, I'm looking forward to Mad Men. The season opener was good, so I hope that this season delivers. I love how they're still making January Jones fat Betty. Lots of good story lines taking place, so I'm excited to see how they play out. 

I have a healthy treat to share this week, so stay turned. I hope everyone has a good week!



No comments:

Post a Comment