Tuesday, June 4, 2013

brownie peanut butter magic bars




I suffered from baking withdrawals while out of the country. I found myself inexplicably irritable at times when walking the streets of Italy and I attributed it to my sugar cravings. Of course I had gelato with lunch and dinner, but it didn't satiate my sweet tooth quite like baking does.

Naturally, as soon as our bags hit the floor upon our arrival home last week, I pulled out my standing mixer and made two batches of my favorite chocolate chip cookie dough. I couldn't decide! I was feeling super denied of my beloved chocolate chip cookies, so two kinds were definitely in order.

Cookie baking transpired every night for the remainder of the week to make up for lost time, but I was feeling particularly motivated on Saturday night to try a new recipe. That's where these babies come into the picture.




Here we have brownie peanut butter magic bars. A dense fudgy crust serves as the base for a layer of chocolate peanut butter magic. If you're not familiar with (un)necessarily gluttonous desserts, then you may not know that sweetened condensed milk is the "magic" that makes a rich layer of decadence.




These bars are so simple to whip up. In the bowl of a standing mixer (or use an electric mixer) beat together a box of brownie mix, 1 stick of butter, and 1 egg. Your dough will be very thick. Press it down into a 9x13 inch greased pan then sprinkle half a bag of peanut butter chips and half a bag of chocolate chips onto your crust. Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the chips. Pop your pan into the oven for 30 minutes and you're in for a magical treat (I know, lame, but go with it).

No sugar cravings after these. Well, maybe some.



Brownie Peanut Butter Magic Bars

1 box Brownie Mix
1 stick butter, softened
1 egg
8 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup chocolate chips
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz can)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray or parchment paper
Beat together Brownie Mix, butter, and egg until combined (dough will be very thick)
Evenly press dough into bottom of greased pan
Sprinkle peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chips over dough
Pour sweetened condensed milk over candy in an even back and forth fashion*
Bake for 30 minutes
Let cool completely before cutting into bars

Enjoy!

Source Crazy for Crust
Linked up at What's Cookin' Wednesday & Tuesday Talent Show

*Try not to concentrate the milk to the middle of the pan. 

1 comment:

  1. I love everything pb & chocolate and these brownies look amazing! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete