Tuesday, June 11, 2013

chocolate cake with vanilla frosting

Today is our second wedding anniversary. It's hard to believe that two years have passed since that beautiful day in Atlanta, but a lot has happened during that time. A big move, new jobs, a trip to Europe, and lots of cake. So let's get to the cake.




I baked this cake to commemorate two years of marriage to the greatest guy I know. I asked him for input on what he wanted me to make him, but in typical fashion, he said that he wanted to be surprised. So not helpful. This is his answer to almost all questions that require extra thought. I can't figure out if he really likes surprises, or if he just doesn't want to take the time to think of an answer.





This recipes comes from a very trusted blogger over at Kevin and Amanda. The cake is super moist and fudgy. Upon first bite, I almost thought I was devouring a brownie because it's so fudgy, but the texture is definitely that of a delicious chocolate cake. I loved the frosting too. It's made with shortening which yields a lighter frosting. It reminds me of the kind used on cakes from the grocery store. I know that some people are strongly against store bought cakes, but I really really love them, particularly for their frosting. Don't even get me started on Costco cakes. They are all that is right in the world. 




I'm a frosting fanatic. I'm always horrified when I see people scrape off the frosting from their cake. I mean really, what is cake without frosting?



Which side are you guys on? Frosting or no frosting?

P.S Happy 2nd anniversary to the light of my life!


Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Frosting

1 box of Devil's Food Cake mix
1 box chocolate instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups mini chocolate chips (1 bag)

1 cup shortening
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare two eight inch pans with cooking spray
In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla until combined
Stir in chocolate chips
Evenly pour batter into prepared cake pans
Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting
While cakes cool, prepare your frosting
Beat shortening until light and fluffy
Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time until completely incorporated
Add in salt, vanilla, and whipping cream and beat until fluffy
Frost cooled cakes

Enjoy!


Source Kevin and Amanda
Linked up at Time to Sparkle & Tuesday Talent Show

5 comments:

  1. This cake looks so good! I love the contrast of the dark cake with the white frosting. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Rachel for visiting my site! I LOVE your blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooohhh.... This cake looks AWESOME!!! Love your pictures :) You have a great blog Rachel :)
    xox Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Amy! Trying to get back to a regular schedule, but it's hard working full time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy wedding anniversary! Chocolate cake and vanilla frosting is a classic and always a crowd pleaser. This one looks so yummy and moist. :)

    ReplyDelete