Monday, July 29, 2013

oreo cheesecake

Did you all know that tomorrow is National Cheesecake Day? Most likely not, so I'm happy to inform you of this occasion. I only relay the important information.




When I first heard about this holiday, I realized that it was the perfect opportunity to break in my springform pan. I'm not sure if it was received as a wedding gift, or if I used a wedding gift card to purchase it, but this pan has been sitting in my cabinet taunting me for ages. It was definitely time that I truly embrace my housewife status and churn out a cheesecake, so that's precisely what I did on Friday night, as seen on instagram



We had to leave early on Saturday for a wedding in Philly, so I was unable to photograph this beauty until yesterday. Unfortunately, it was just a bad day for photography. All of the elements were against me. Bad lighting, low camera battery, poor camera cooperation with focusing, I was hungry. Very frustrating. These photos are definitely not to my satisfaction, but this cheesecake was too delicious not to share. I tried to replicate Cheesecake Factory's presentation by adding a whipped frosting and oreo garnish. I think it adds a little pizazz. 




A thick oreo crust serves as the base for a thick creamy cheesecake filling with pieces of oreo chunks enjoyed in each bite. This dessert is so decadent, but worth every calorie, if you're concerned about that sort of thing. The recipe couldn't be an easier either, so no excuses! Bust out your spring form pan and bake yourself a cheesecake. If you don't have this kind of pan, then an 8x8 baking pan or even a 9x13 pan will suffice. Happy National Cheesecake Day!





Oreo Cheesecake

For the crust:
24 oreos
3 tbsp butter, melted

For the cheesecake:
12 oz cream cheese, room temperature (3 packages)
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
15 oreos (I used double stuff), chopped into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place oreos in a large ziploc bag and crush oreos into fine crumbs by rolling a rolling pin over the bag (or use a food processor). Pour melted butter into bag and evenly distributed. Press oreo mixture firmly onto bottom of 9 inch springform pan. Bake crust for ten minutes then remove from oven
3. While the crust is baking, prepare the cream cheese filling. In bowl of standing mixer, beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add eggs one at a time and beat until well blended. Add sour cream mix until combined. Gently fold in oreo pieces. Pour onto prepared crust and smooth with a spatula in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes or until center is almost set (giggles slightly) Allow cheesecake to cool on cooling rack, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Obviously, you mean 12oz. (3 packages) of cream cheese, right?

    ReplyDelete