Thursday, February 14, 2013

chocolate fudge cookies




I've never been a box of chocolates kind of girl. Sure I've appreciated the gesture whenever one has been gifted to me, but chocolate candies don't really do it for me. I'd much prefer say...a heart shaped cookie cake. Lucky for me, I never had a problem communicating this preference to Kent, so the box of chocolates he left at my freshmen room door was my last.

There is a funny story about this last box of chocolates. Kent wanted to surprise me on our first Valentine's Day together (7 years ago already) by leaving flowers and candy at my dorm. So the story goes at least because I never received said flowers and candy. We have reason to believe that my spiteful suite mate stole them. Kent was surprised when he hadn't received acknowledgement of the gifts by night, so he finally asked me if I came home to anything good that day. I told him begrudgingly that I hadn't. Things were not looking good for Kent when I had received nada by the end of the day. We still have no real evidence to corroborate the theory of the kleptomaniac suite mate, but I feel pretty confident that it was her. In any case, Kent replaced the missing flowers and candy with new ones, and I placed the flowers in a gatorade bottle, naturally. #dormroomliving


I may not be a fan of chocolate candies, but I am a fan of anything involving chocolate. Enter chocolate fudge cookies.


These cookies are incredibly rich in chocolate flavor. I have never once tasted a dessert and exclaimed that it was too rich to eat (such a perplexing response), but I feel that I must disclose that these are not for the faint of heart.  They remind me of a brownie. In the best possible way. They are dense in texture and provide the depth of chocolate flavor that a brownie offers, but they're cookies. And I love cookies.


I recommend milk with these babies.


And a card if you're using these as a loving and thoughtful gift for your sweetie. If there's not a sweetie in your life, then I recommend a glass of wine instead :)

Happy Valentine's Day family and friends!

Chocolate Fudge Cookies

1 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped 
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup semi chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside
Melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute, stir, continue to melt in 30 second increments until fully melted and smooth. Set aside
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla. Set aside
Beat butter and sugars in a standing bowl
Mix in the beaten egg and vanilla until incorporated
Add the melted chocolate and beat until combined
Add the dry ingredients on slow speed
Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not overmix
Chill dough for at least 30 minutes
Scoop rounded tablespoon of dough and roll into a slightly flattened ball. Place on cookie sheet
Bake for about 10 minutes
Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving to cooling rack


1 comment:

  1. LOL I appreciate a glass of wine any day! Opps I mean night. I think my Benny will suffice though. No chocolate cookies for him though. I request a myriad cookie collage when I arrive to my new home of Baltimore! Gracias!

    ReplyDelete