Tuesday, February 26, 2013

homemade funfetti cupcakes


Nothing screams birthday more than a funfetti cupcake.


I made a batch of homemade ones for Kent's birthday last week. Funfetti cake is his favorite cake, but I couldn't find a great recipe for cake that didn't require complicated ingredients, so I settled for a cupcake recipe from my favorite blogger. 


Most cake recipes call for oil as the wet ingredient, but this recipe uses butter to add a rich buttery taste. I personally thought that it made the cupcake texture a bit too dense, but the butter flavor was delicious. 


I was pleased with how pretty the cupcakes turned out. The rainbow sprinkles contrasted with the white cake and fluffy white frosting look like a cup of happiness.


These cupcakes were so simple to whip up and they received rave reviews from Kent's team at work. The frosting was a bit labor intensive, but it was my own fault. I bought piping tips and an icing bag so that I could attempt a professional look, but it turned out disastrously so I resorted to the ol' knife to spread my frosting. Then added some sprinkles to garnish.


Homemade always beats out a box mix, so I encourage you to try making your own cupcakes from scratch. You can do it!


Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

1 and 2/3 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1/4 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
3/4 cup milk (I used whole, but I think 2% would be fine)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sprinkles

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners, set aside
Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl, set aside
Melt butter in large microwave safe bowl, let cool
Add sugar to melted butter then stir in yogurt, eggs, milk, and vanilla
Slowly mix in dry ingredients
Gently stir in sprinkles, be careful not to overmix or color with bleed

Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners
Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
While cupcakes cool complete, make the frosting

Beat butter softened butter on medium speed with electric mixer or standing mixer until smooth and creamy
Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla with mixer running and increase speed to high for 3 minutes
If frosting too thin, add more powdered sugar; if too thick, add more cream
Frost cooled cupcakes and store in airtight container up to 7 days

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. mmmmm makes me want to go get a box of funfetti cake right now...if only I was a baker like my sister. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete