Tuesday, February 12, 2013

red velvet cookies with cream cheese frosting

Happy Tuesday!



Today I'm sharing an easy recipe that uses a boxed cake mix. I can't believe I've never made sandwich cookies before. For someone who's known to eat multiple cookies in one sitting, you would think I'd make these more often as a loophole to eat more cookies. Plus, I love frosting. These cookies come from Lizzy at Your Cup of Cake. She primarily features cupcakes on her site, but she includes other sweet treats from time to time and this recipe is one of those. 


You combine the cake mix, oil, eggs, powdered sugar, and vanilla until a gooey mixture forms. I stuck the mixture in my freezer for a few minutes so that it would be easier to scoop. Once the mixture has firmed up a bit, drop tablespoon sized balls into powdered sugar and generously coat. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.


While the cookies are cooling, whip together your cream cheese frosting. I have never found a cream cheese frosting that I like from a can, so I highly recommend the extra effort to make your own. This frosting is really good. Scoop the frosting into a gallon sized plastic bag, push to one corner, and snip the corner once ready to pipe onto the bottom side of half of your cookies. Sandwich with the unfrosted cookies. 

These cookies were a hit at Kent's office. Bake them for Valentine's Day, or for no reason at all. Everyone could use a sandwich cookie. Enjoy!




Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe from Your Cup of Cake

1 box of red velvet cake mix
2 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened (1/2 a stick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat liner
Combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract
Scoop out tablespoon sized balls (mixture will be gooey, so I recommend chilling mixture beforehand)
Drop balls into powdered sugar, coat in sugar, and drop onto baking sheet 3 inches apart from other balls
Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool
For filling, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency and taste
Pipe frosting onto bottom of half of the cookies and sandwich with the other half (use piping tip mentioned above)






3 comments:

  1. I thought you were off Red Velvet for life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who on earth would be off red velvet for life? Only a fool I say! Those sandwich cookies look divine. I think I'll stick my hand into the computer now and grab one.... is this a sign I am going to gain a significant amount of weight when I move to Baltimore???

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a funny picture of dorm life. Glad that's over. Also, I can't believe you and kent know each other for 7 years now.

    ReplyDelete