Tuesday, March 12, 2013

banana bread


For someone who always has bananas in the house, I don't make banana bread nearly as much as I should. Banana bread is a nostalgic food for me that reminds me of high school. It was a staple in my diet when I swam competitively. My mom always made two loaves for when we traveled away to swim meets. Most of my teammates' moms actually made banana bread for their respective swimmers, so it was sort of a tradition. Even as a severely nervous athlete who was never hungry during competition, I always enjoyed my mom's delicious banana bread. 


I love how people tout banana bread as a healthier option because it's a "bread," but we all know that it's really a cake.  A delicious cake that's moist, sweet, and rich in banana flavor.


This recipe comes from a wonderful blogger who has an arsenal of family friendly dinner and dessert recipes. When she declared this recipe to be the best banana bread recipe, I knew that I had to try it. 


This banana bread differs from other recipes I've tried by the addition of buttermilk. Buttermilk gives baked goods a softer and denser texture. Most banana bread has this texture due to the oil, so I didn't really think that it made a noticeable difference. This recipe was very good, but it wasn't a showstopper. I missed the the split-top crust that most quick breads have, which I love to pick at while I wait for it to cool. It's definitely worth a try, so let me know how it compares to your favorite banana bread recipe.



Banana Bread

2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 medium bananas)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Grease 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray
In large bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and oil until combined
Beat in bananas and sugars until combined
In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients
Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined, do not over mix
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for an hour, or until toothpick comes out clean

Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Mommy's banana bread is still by far the best in my humble opinion. The one with chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete