Tuesday, March 26, 2013

oreo icebox cake

I was completely out of commission yesterday with a 24 hour stomach virus. I'm normally a trooper when it comes to sickness and injury, but I felt like I was on death's doorstep and let it be known. Kent was so thoughtful and left work in the early afternoon to comfort me in me in my state of agony. The timing of the illness was ideal in the sense that I was still able to enjoy this delicious oreo icebox cake over the weekend.


I first shared this dessert with you on last week's Friday Favorites. I've had this cake on my mind ever since I stumbled upon it, so I thought that Easter would serve as a wonderful occasion to make it. While it's far from a traditional Easter dessert, I felt confident that Kent's family would welcome it to the table. 


This dessert is so simple to put together and it really is delicious. Double stuffed oreos and cool whip are all you need to create an easy and fun treat to share with a crowd. The oreos are dipped in milk to slightly soften before lining the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Spread cool whip over this oreo layer, then repeat this process so that you have a total of four layers. I crumbled extra oreos on top to garnish, but you could use hot fudge or leave alone. This isn't a fancy dessert, but I'm not one to deny extra sugar on my dessert. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight. I allowed overnight, so that the layers could fully meld together. 


Just as I thought, this dessert was devoured at our Easter lunch. I think everyone enjoyed the trip down memory lane that the taste of oreos elicits. This cake is simplicity at it's best.


On a side note, does anyone else think of the shower scene in Home Alone 2 when they hear the cool whip jingle? 


Oreo Icebox Cake

2 packages of oreos
2 tubs of cool whip, thawed (I used a little of a third tub)
1 1/2 cup milk

Dip first package of oreos in milk one by one then lay flat at bottom of 9x13 inch pan
Spread cool whip over oreos, then repeat process for a total of 4 layers
Crumble oreos on top, or drizzle hot fudge if desired
Cover and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight


Source Cookies and Cups

No comments:

Post a Comment