Thursday, March 14, 2013

fudgy mint brownies


Happy Pi Day everyone! I seriously debated making a pie to commemorate this occasion, but when I came across these brownies, I decided that I rather celebrate St. Patty's Day.


These brownies are good. The brownie base uses a recipe that yields some of the fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted. It uses a scant 1/4 cup of flour, and the remainder is all butter, sugar, and chocolate. Well, plus the eggs and salt, but you know what I mean- trying to point out why these are so darn fudgy! I wasn't sure how much I would care for the mint layer because I'm not a huge peppermint fan, but the flavor pairs perfectly with the chocolate and its creaminess is heavenly. I don't know why I don't opt for mint chocolate more often!


I'm telling you, these taste just like an Andes mint, but better because they are chewy and fudgy. They really are so easy to make, too. I know that St. Patrick's Day isn't a food holiday, but I'm sure that your friends and family would love a fudgy mint brownie to wash down their beer with... meh, maybe not. Make these!



Fudgy Mint Brownies

For brownies:
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick butter, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

For mint layer:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 1/2 tbsp heavy creamy
Scant dropping of green food coloring

For chocolate coating:
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 325 degree
Line 8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and grease, set aside
Melt chocolate and butter in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring regularly until melted; remove from heat
Whisk in sugar, eggs, and vanilla
Fold in flour and salt and mix until just combined
Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes; let cool completely before next step

Use a mixer to combine ingredients for mint layer
Once brownies are cool completely, spread mint layer evenly over brownies
Place brownies in fridge to firm up before adding chocolate coating

Melt chocolate chips using a double broiler or microwave at 20 second intervals, being careful to not burn the chocolate*
Spread melted chocolate over mint layer; put brownies back in fridge to firm up

Once chocolate layer has set, lift foil out of pan and cut brownies


*Notes: I microwaved mine for 20 seconds, removed from microwave, then microwaved for another 20 seconds. I stirred until all chips melted completely.


Source Eat Live Run


1 comment:

  1. mmmm very decadent sister!!!! I just bought a bar of Cadbury chocolate tonight at the grocery store on a whim, but this brownie surely must outweigh a block of Cadbury with its fudgy minty goodness! Love you!

    ReplyDelete