Sunday, March 10, 2013

weekend review


Well, I hope you all enjoyed the beautiful spring weather this weekend as much as I did. A warm sunny day instantly improves my mood, so I was feeling easy breezy. I suppose "warm" is a relative term, but it was 60 in the DC area this weekend and I welcomed it warmly.

We drove down to DC after lunch on Saturday. My parents had a free hotel voucher that was set to expire soon, so they let Kent and I use it at the Key Bridge Marriott. We checked in to our lovely room with a view then headed to the International Spy Museum.

Our room faced Georgetown

We ran into minor difficulty at the metro station. Aside from the sign on the machine that tells you everyone needs their own ticket, who knew that each rider needs their own ticket? We resided in NYC for long enough to think that passing back tickets with sufficient fare was acceptable among all public transportation, but apparently not in DC. We initially overlooked that sign, so Kent had to get back in line. 


The International Spy Museum was very crowded, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I would have on a less busy day. You basically read about each exhibit throughout the self-guided tour, which was difficult due to the number of people fighting to look at the same signs on the wall. Kent loved it though, so I'm happy we went. We weren't allowed to take pictures during the tour, so here's what I snapped illegally.

 We each "assumed" an identity at the beginning of tour, where we had to memorize information that we were tested on throughout the museum. I failed miserably at being a spy.

A real Oscar.

Kent's favorite exhibit was the James Bond one.

We didn't have any set plants for the day after our visit to the spy museum, so we walked over to Pennsylvania Avenue to play tourists. 

The sun was so bright standing in front of the Oval Office

Kent told the foreigners who took this photo that a helicopter landing nearby carried the President. They were super excited, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't Obama.

After a couple of hours of walking around, we headed into Georgetown because we wanted to eat dinner there. It was still too early for dinner, so we decided to join the loonies standing in line at Georgetown Cupcakes. I normally wouldn't wait an hour for cupcakes (even as the dessert fanatic that I am), but since we had some time, we figured why not? 


There were literally 100+ people in line for cupcakes. I married a very easy going man.

They only let 5 people inside the store at a time, so it was quite exciting once we were allowed inside.

Peanut Butter Fudge, Boston Creme Pie, Chocolate & Vanilla, Vanilla Birthday, Chocolate 2, and Salted Caramel

We had dinner at a restaurant called Clyde's. It's an American bar and restaurant that feels like a saloon.  We ate all of our cupcakes before Clyde's because we hadn't eaten since lunch, so we were beyond full after dinner. We walked back to the hotel where we fell into a severe food coma.  Kent coined the term "foofied" to describe our state- you know, like roofied, but with food. I guess you had to be us to understand. We literally could not move, so we watched Love It or List It for the remainder of the night in our luxurious feather bed. In defense of our lameness, we had walked around all day. And, we're married, so naturally we're boring. 

Today was a typical Sunday. Kent and I did our bulk grocery shopping late morning, then I got a work out in. No run today because my calves are aching badly. After seeing that the forecast drops back into the forties this week, we figured we should enjoy the warm weather while it lasts. We walked to the harbor to get some Rita's frozen custard. Rita's was closed sadly, but the walk itself was lovely.

View from the boardwalk

We actually live across the street from a frozen yogurt shop, so no biggie that Rita's was closed

Overall, it was a great weekend. I hope everyone has a good week! I have banana bread and a St. Patrick's Day treat in store for this week, so check back later :)



2 comments:

  1. looked fun! I'm going to have to try georgetown cupcakes. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your segment on issues with the metro is hilarious. I knew you NYC subway riders would have issues lol. Glad you had such a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete