Sunday, March 24, 2013

weekend review

Does anyone know where Spring is? I'm still waiting to exchange my uggs for flips flops, but the current forecast doesn't look very promising.

We had a very nice long weekend with Kent's family in Pennsylvania. Kent and I got a good workout in Friday morning. I ran close to 7 miles, which felt pretty easy. I hate adjusting to different treadmills because none are calibrated to the same speeds, so I was happy that I enjoyed my run. Afterwards, I dropped Kent off to watch the ball games with his buddies then I watched a RHOBH season 2 marathon. And I made these brownies:


These are marshmallow reese's brownies, and they are delicious. I intended to blog about this recipe, but their exterior was so ugly that I couldn't. The marshmallow fluff was supposed to swirl with the brownie batter during the baking process, but they baked into puffy marshmallows instead. These brownies received high praise from Kent's mom, and she isn't even a fan of chocolate (shocking, I know). They are also very simple to make, so let me know if you'd like the recipe.

I spent Friday night with Kent's parents and sister. We ordered in Italian for dinner and spent the evening on the couch. I'm not sure how it happened, but we wound up watching home videos of when Kent and his sister were babies. I've decided that home videos are only entertaining if they're of you, but it was still funny to see Kent as a chunky 2 year old.


Saturday's workout was a struggle for me. I was looking forward to a hard workout on the stationary bike. We don't have one at our apartment's gym, so I like to ride the bike at his parents' gym whenever we visit. I was so uncomfortable on the seat and unable to adjust after 15 minutes, so I switched over to the elliptical. I could only handle 10 minutes on that machine, so then I moved to the treadmill to walk. I was going to call it a day when I found some motivation to try running for a few minutes, which turned into 3 miles. The run felt strong and controlled so I enjoyed it. I don't believe in pushing through a workout when you're miserable, so I was glad I found an exercise that worked for me yesterday.

We celebrated Kent's sister's birthday on Saturday night at her favorite Mexican restaurant. The restaurant serves unlimited margaritas with each entree ordered. It also has a BYOB policy that I took advantage of because I'm not a fan of margs.

I was instructed to order a margarita in case the owners were stingy with refills

 The Planning Jaggers. I got a job this week, by the way...yay

We ordered a medley of Mexican staples for an appetizer- cheese dip, quesadillas, shrimp tostadas, and corn patties layered w/ black beans and crab. It may not look it from this photo, but it was all delicious

 I order chicken fajitas as my entrĂ©e- boring, I know

The birthday girl being serenaded by the staff

Today we celebrated Easter because Kent's parents will be cruising the Caribbean on the actual day this year. Kent's mom made a delicious spread of food- spiraled ham, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and chicken noodle soup to name a few. I felt full all weekend long because we basically ate our way through the visit.

 I think I'm the only one who appreciated Kent's mom's cute setup of the easter candy table. Look at those darling jelly bean holders

It was so nice to be able to spend the holiday with Kent's family. The proximity to his family is a lovely advantage of our move to Baltimore. The last time we spent Easter with his family was my freshman year of college. I remember that we prayed before the meal, and it was super awkward. 

I made breakfast for dinner tonight as a lighter option to the indulgence we had over the weekend. Tonight we're relaxing and watching our Sunday night line up. I made a delicious and easy dessert today that I'll share this week, so check back later!

I hope everyone had a good weekend!





1 comment:

  1. lol I'm glad we don't do that on important holidays in our family

    ReplyDelete