Thursday, March 21, 2013

cream filled carrot cake muffins



In keeping with the Easter theme, I thought I would bake another traditional Easter offering. I can't even remember the last time I ate a slice of carrot cake, but I absolutely love it. My mom used to frequently buy carrot cake from the Publix Bakery during my teenage years, and I have very distinct memories of sneaking into the fridge to cut consecutive slices of this wonderful treat. Is that weird that we refrigerated it? I really like cold cake, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's easier to slice this way? 


I know rich desserts, and I consider carrot cake to be one of the richest desserts available. Thick cream cheese frosting layered between moist dense cake; this dessert is heavy. These muffins are not nearly as decadent as your traditional carrot cake, but they still maintain the integrity of carrot cake. I like how carrot cake in muffin form naturally forces portion control, which is my achilles heel. 


The creme cheese filling is a delicious hidden surprise. These muffins are moist, tender, and packed with flavor. I learned while making these that my husband doesn't like carrot cake. Umm, shocking. Even he had to agree that these are tasty. For an easy alternative to carrot cake, I suggest these cream filled carrot cake muffins. I would never judge you for eating carrot cake for breakfast, but these seem much more acceptable, right? 


Creme Filled Carrot Cake Muffins

For the filling:
1 (8 ounce package) cream cheese
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the batter:
2 1/4 cup call purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated carrots (about 3 carrot sticks)

Preheat oven to 400
Line 12 well muffin tin with liners, or lightly grease; set aside

Filling:
In microwave safe bowl, heat cream cheese for 40 seconds; stir in sugar and vanilla, set aside

Batter:
Whisk together dry ingredients; set aside
In bowl of standing mixer, use whisk attachment to mix eggs, oil, water and sugars
Switch whisk for paddle attachment, then mix in dry ingredients until just combined
Gently fold in grated carrots until evenly incorporated into batter

Drop 2 tablespoons of batter into 12 muffin cups
Dollop on a tablespoon of filling on top of batter
Use remaining batter to fill muffin cups until almost full, then use spoon to spread completely over filling
Bake muffins until toothpick comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes *
Remove muffins from oven
As soon as able to handle them, transfer muffins to a cooling rack
Wait 30 minutes to serve so that filling can firm up

*Notes: Keep an eye on muffins during baking so that they don't over bake. I let mine bake closer to 20, and I think less time would have yielded an even moister muffin.







1 comment:

  1. mmmm delicious insides. I miss Publix carrot cake. You are right. Served cold is best.

    ReplyDelete